Pools welcomed guests to kick off the summer with a dip this Memorial Day weekend without the restrictions related to the covid-19 pandemic.
The weather is expected to improve as well beginning this weekend despite the unusual cold, wet conditions recently. Northwest Arkansas is predicted to experience above-average temperatures for June, July and August, said meteorologist Joe Sellers with the National Weather Service in Tulsa.
Officials said they're ready should covid-19 show up.
The Wilson Park pool in Fayetteville opens today at full capacity with no covid-19 restrictions for guests. The pool is open to everyone from 1-4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and 1-6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. Adult lap swim is offered in the mornings Monday through Friday.
Staff are prepared to respond if any covid-19 cases potentially spring up from pool activity, said Dean Rawlings, recreation programs manager with the city.
"We have contact tracing in place in case something were to happen with a staff or a kid in a group lesson," Rawlings said.
The Melvin Ford Aquatic Center in Bentonville also opens today with no covid-19 restrictions for guests, said Kendra Musick, aquatics supervisor. The center has precautions it used last year if there is a covid-19 spike this summer, Musick said, including mask requirements in locker rooms and only using one entrance and exit to limit guests crossing paths.
"We just ask everybody to operate within their own comfort levels, but we are not enforcing anything," Musick said. "We have extra hand sanitizer still available, and our restrooms are cleaned on a regular basis throughout the day, and every evening they get a deep clean."
The Rogers Aquatics Center is open at full capacity with no restrictions, said Leanna Jacobson, aquatics supervisor at the center.
"We're a fairly large, open wide space. We have plenty of chlorine in our pool. It wasn't an issue last year,"Jacobson said.
The Springdale Aquatic Center is open noon to 6 p.m. every day.
Parrot Island Waterpark in Fort Smith is open 11 a.m to 6 p.m Monday through Friday and 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday and Sunday for those who buy day passes.
Northwest Arkansas residents can choose from a variety of pools, waterparks and splashparks in the region to cool off in this summer. The addresses and opening dates are all below. See websites and social media sites for more information on cost and admission.
• Alma Aquatic Park opens today, 731 City Park Road, www.almaarkansas.gov
• Community Center open year round, 1101 S.W. Citizens Drive
• Melvin Ford Aquatic Center opens today, 200 N.E. Memorial Park Square
• Fountains at Lawrence Plaza splash park are open, 214 N.E. A St., www.bentonvillear.com
• Clarksville Aquatic Center outdoor pool opens today, 1611 W. Oakland St., www.clarksvillear.gov
• Wilson Park Pool opens today, 675 N. Park Ave.
• Walker Park splash park is open, 10 W. 15th St., www.fayetteville-ar.gov
• Creekmore Park Pool opens tomorrow, 3201 S. M St.
Martin Luther King Jr. Park, Greenwood Avenue and North O Street Tiles Park, North 37th Street and Grand Avenue Woodlawn Park, North 6th and S Street
• Parrot Island waterpark is open, 7300 Zero St.
• Community Center indoor pool open year round, 601 N. 29th St., www.cityofozarkar.com
• Rogers Aquatics Center opens today, 1707 S. 26th St.
• Rogers splash park is open, 315 W. Olive St., www.rogersar.gov
• Family Aquatic Center opens today, 1800 N. Mt. Olive
• The Jones Center pool is open, 922 E. Emma Ave.
• Springdale Aquatic Center opens today, 1100 Watson Dr.
C.L. “Charlie” and Willie George Park, 4023 Hylton Road, Shaw Family Park, www.springdalear.gov
Print Headline: Pools and water parks open for summer
Copyright © 2022, Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, Inc.
This document may not be reprinted without the express written permission of Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, Inc.
Material from the Associated Press is Copyright © 2022, Associated Press and may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Associated Press text, photo, graphic, audio and/or video material shall not be published, broadcast, rewritten for broadcast or publication or redistributed directly or indirectly in any medium. Neither these AP materials nor any portion thereof may be stored in a computer except for personal and noncommercial use. The AP will not be held liable for any delays, inaccuracies, errors or omissions therefrom or in the transmission or delivery of all or any part thereof or for any damages arising from any of the foregoing. All rights reserved.